This year's contest asked students to help the ECA honor almost 50 years of The Chocolate Shoppe. We asked entrants to draw a picture celebrating the wonder of ice cream.
What connection does ice cream have with the Fourth of July?
- President George Washington spent approximately $200 for ice cream during the summer of 1790.
- Thomas Jefferson is credited with the first known ice cream recipe recorded by an American.
- Jefferson helped to popularize ice cream when he served it at the President’s House in Washington.
- The first ice cream parlour was opened in New York City in 1776. Didn’t something else happen in 1776?
- And don’t forget that July is National Ice Cream Month.
Here’s some other ice cream facts.
- Nancy Johnson invented the hand-cranked ice cream churn in 1841.
- The waffle cone was created at the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair.
- Almost 9% of all milk produced in the United States is used to make ice cream.
- The first Saturday in February is known as Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day. Tell your folks about this!
Click the links below to discover what these students picture when they dream about ice cream?
Meet the Artists